Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Where can I obtain old envelopes/covers?

I am a modern (1970-present) postal history cover collector and have previously bought bundles on Ebay. Sellers often obtain from sweepstakes firms, magazines, etc. Would someone please give me some information on where I can obtain lots of cancelled envelopes without paying any fees so I can extend my collection? Thank you very much.Where can I obtain old envelopes/covers?
I worked in the mail room of a large corporation, but unfortunately, most of our mail had postage metre machines! So I didn't get many stamps from there.



You need to find an organization that gets a lot of mail, and that will let you have the stamps. They may not want to give you the whole envelope since they need to protect the privacy of the people they deal with. Some corporations need the stamp cancellation date for their documents. But keep asking everyone you know, and you will find many soon enough. Collect them from relatives, friends, neighbours, small businesses, --- you get the idea.



You will also find bags of stamps on paper in the stamp shops. The bags are usually not that expensive, and are the usual run-of-the-mill stamps, but fun going through them, for a beginner. You can often find foreign stamps too. Try to exchange them with a collector in another country... you both win then.

No comments:

Post a Comment