Sunday, March 4, 2012

My mail person took an unstamped envelope containing a check from my locked mailbox. How do I get it back?

My friend left the envelope for me in my mailbox so it was not sent through the US postal service. The envelope does not contain my address, only my name. Does the mail person have a right to confiscate mail that is unstamped and left in a mailbox?My mail person took an unstamped envelope containing a check from my locked mailbox. How do I get it back?
yes, in fact your friend is not allowed to leave material in your mailbox, that is where it went wrong for you.



i'd hurry down to the local post office asap and explain the situation to the postmaster. depending on if you can get to the place where the initial sorting happens, maybe the letter can be found and returned.



edit - your best bet may be to contact your friend, have him/her contact their bank to cancel that check, and to bring you a new one (slipped under the door!)
uh...the only thing legally in that mailbox is mail. If it was there when he got there, it is by definition outgoing.



Check with the postmasterMy mail person took an unstamped envelope containing a check from my locked mailbox. How do I get it back?
U can try to contact the post master or speak with your mail carrier about it. BUT even though you may have paid for the mail box...I am with the understanding that the mailbox is the property of the postal service. That is also why paper carriers and people placing fliers are told its illegal for them to put things in the mailbox


Go to your local post office, I'm sure it was turned in there.My mail person took an unstamped envelope containing a check from my locked mailbox. How do I get it back?
Yes, your friend violated mail law by putting it in your mailbox, unstamped, once there, it was to be picked up by the mail person and into the mail stream. I thought everyone in the world knew that by now? Peace.
Well, since the only thing that is supposed to go into a mailbox it MAIL, then yes. The mailman is NOT going to go through your mail to see if it is actually mail or not! Good luck in getting the check back because I am sure it is long gone!
Confiscate? I think he/she probably accidentally picked it up, thinking it was outgoing mail, and without looking at it. Just call the post office in the morning and explain the situation. If you approach it with a nice, non-accusatory attitude, then you'll probably get more help finding your envelope.
Unfortuneately yes. When I was unable to pick up my mail for a week, my mail carrier actually removed mail she had already delivered to my mail box. I thought about getting a mailbox with a tiny slot after that...

No comments:

Post a Comment