Sunday, March 4, 2012

Was my package containing a batch of personal letters opened intentionally by the postal service?

I just got home to find in my mailbox a sealed plastic bag/wrapper containing a large envelope my sister mailed to me a few days ago. It contained a couple dozen folded, handwritten letters our father had written to our mother 50 years ago, and were of sentimental value. The wrapper was imprinted with "WE CARE," and message goes on to say they sincerely regret and apologize for the damage done to our mail, and the postmaster hopes we understand that these things sometimes happen due to the high speed of mail processing equipment. I say, "Bull hockey!" The flap had been neatly opened, not ripped or sliced. Everything SEEMED to be intact, but I have no idea. Neither my sister nor I ever counted the letters, or would be able to tell if any were missing. I really believe the envelope was x-rayed, flagged as potential terrorist communications, and intentionally gone through page by page. Am I being paranoid? I don't really care as much about the invasion as being told a bold-faced lie.Was my package containing a batch of personal letters opened intentionally by the postal service?
If she failed to completely seal the envelope the situation you described would have occurred. The post office would discover the open letter in the processing line and place it in the bag. Some people see conspiracies everywhere.
The company I work for sees a lot of this type of damage to mail. I was told it is because of new equipment used to process mail. The amount of mail we get returned for obscure reasons is incredible. I count my lucky stars if I were you simply because you did receive it.Was my package containing a batch of personal letters opened intentionally by the postal service?
Sure be nice to know what the hell BTW means..
They probably did it because it looked suspicious, although I don't know why it would look suspicious. It's the the govt since 9/11, going through mail, listening in on phone calls, etc...I think it's terrible to lie about the reason why they did it. Maybe they should get another stamp that says "We trashed your mail for your protection." I guess just consider it taking one for the team.Was my package containing a batch of personal letters opened intentionally by the postal service?
Back in the good ol' days mail used to be hand processed, sorted, distributed and delivered. In the last 10 years automation has forced the "human" out of the equation and now the only time a warm pair of hands or a living set of eyes actually touches or sees your mail is when it arrives at it's final destination. Your phone's not tapped and your mail's not being read. The sear volume is beyond singling out to invade a random individual's mail. More likely it was a random "accident". If you're still unconvinced ask for a tour of your area processing plant. Explain what happened in your case and get the answer directly from the horses mouth. You and anyone else will also get instructions on properly preparing mail acceptable for automation. Keep in mind some mail is perfect and still gets damaged because someone else didn't and that perfect mail gets caught in the melee of a jammed machine. But you'll get that answer at your tour if you decide take one.

No comments:

Post a Comment